Jerry P. Shinley Archive:From: email@example.com
Anti-Red Congress in Mexico in 1954
Subject: Anti-Red Congress in Mexico in 1954
Date: 13 Dec 1999 00:00:00 GMT
New York Times May 31, 1954 p5
Anti-Red Congress in Mexico a Failure
special to the New York Times
Mexico City, May 30 - The first congress against Soviet intervention in Latin America came to a hectic close here today with the delegates as far from agreement on how to fight communism as when their meeting started.
The congress had been organized by a former Mexican government official, Jorge Prieto Laurens, with the announced attention of of launching a concerted campaign against communism in all Latin countries.
Delegates from Costa Rica and Ecuador walked out of the congress in protest. They said the meeting had deteriorated into a shouting match of angry charges "against the government of Mexico, against the United States and against practically everything."
The delegates, selected mainly on the basis of who wanted to come, were not, with few exceptions, officials of their countries. Nor did the congress itself have official status.
From CIA Online Document Collection: Guatemala
592. CABLE RE KUBARK SUPPORTED HEMISPHERE ANTI-RED CONGRESS SCHEDULED FOR MIDDLE OF [MAY IN MEXICO CITY]
DATE: March 30, 1954
1. KUBARK SUPPORTED HEMISPHERE ANTI-RED CONGRESS SCHEDULED MIDDLE MAY MEXICO CITY. WILL APPEAL TO ALL ANTI COMMIE GROUPS BUT ENDEAVORING ATTRACT MATURE DELEGATES WHO POLITICALLY SOCIALLY INFLUENTIAL THEIR OWN COUNTRIES.
2. IF OUTSTANDING LEADERS EXISTS [sic] WHO COULD BE INVITED AS SPEAKER WITH ROUND TRIP PAID, CABLE NAME ADDRESS TO LINC.
3. ALSO INCLUDE NAME ADDRESS ONE GROUP TO RECEIVE INVITATION BEARING OFFER FINANCIAL AID TRANSPORT DELEGATE OF GROUP'S SELECTION. ALSO NAMES ADDRESS OTHER GROUPS TO BE INVITED.
4. NO PERSON WHO IS WITTING AGENT YOUR STATION SHOULD ATTEND CONGRESS.
309. CABLE FROM LINCOLN FOR ONTRICH RE MEXICO CONFERENCE
DATE: May 17, 1954
2. CALLIGERIS EXCESSIVE CONCERN WITH MEXI CONFERENCE UPSETS ESSENCE, DISSIPATES SEMANTIC TIME AND MAY HURT CONFERENCE. ASSURE HIM CONFERENCE IN COMPETENT HANDS. IDEA IS TO GET HEMI-WIDE SUPPORT FOR WSBURNT FREEDOM. OVERSIZED AND TOO VOCIFEROUS CALLIGERIS DELEGATION WITH CONVINCE OTHER DELEGATES CONFERENCE RIGGED. INSTEAD OF ELICITING THEIR "SPONTANEOUS" HELP.
666. CABLE RE ANTI-RED CONGRESS MEXICO
DATE: June 2, 1954
1. ANTI-RED CONGRESS MEXI ENDED MAY 30. MECHANISM ESTABLISHED TO IMPLEMENT RESOLUTIONS CONGRESS.
Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.
Back to the top
Back to Jerry Shinley Archive menu
Back to Jim Garrison menu
Back to JFK menu
Dave Reitzes home page