Jerry P. Shinley Archive:
Jules Ricco Kimble and the Martin Luther King Case



Subject: Re: Jules Ricco Kimble and the MLK case
Date: Sun, 20 June 1999 05:19 PM EDT
Message-id: <7kjlsl$p4r$>

In article <>, (Dave Reitzes) wrote:
> For anyone interested, here's an article on the MLK assassination, which
> takes very seriously the assertions of Jules Ron Kimble, aka Jules Ricco
> Kimble, who claims to have been James Earl Ray's alleged conspirator
> "Raoul." Kimble is the Klansman currently serving a murder sentence in
> Oklahoma who told Jim Garrison some varying stories in 1967-68 of being a
> CIA agent and of knowing Clay Shaw and Dave Ferrie, both of whom Kimble
> claimed were also CIA agents.
> Kimble is discussed in Bill Davy's new book, *Let Justice Be Done.* He's
> also discussed briefly in part four of my article, "Who Speaks for Clay
> Shaw?" ( and my review of Davy's book
> (
> Dave Reitzes

New Orleans Times-Picayune June 5, 1968 S2-P8
Kimble is Held in Check Case
Claimed Last Year to be Klan Informer
       A young man who last year claimed to have inside information on Ku Klux Klan operations was arrested Tuesday [4th] on a charge of conducting illicit checking operations.
       Accused of making himself $1,405 richer at the expense of the Bank of New Orleans was Jules R. Kimble [...]
       Police claim Kimble effected the theft by manipulating checks stolen from an industrial firm where he was employed as a clerk from April 24 to May 10.
       In June of last year Kimble left Louisiana claiming he had witnessed plans to bomb the homes of labor leader Victor Bussie and a Negro woman teacher in Port Allen, and that his life was in danger.
       He was arrested, however, in Miami last October on charges of parole violation in Avoyelles Parish, and agreed to return to Louisiana on charges of nonsupport of his family.
       He then appeared before the Baton Rouge grand jury in connection with the Bussie bombing the same month.
       Kimble was also arrested in New Orleans May 21 on charges of impersonating police, carrying a concealed weapon, assault and forgery. He had been arrested in Baton Rouge in February and charged with attempted theft and impersonating a doctor.
       Discussing Kimble's latest run-in with the law, Sgt. Ronald Kennedy and Det. Nick Chetta alleged that he stole a number of checks from the industrial firm and deposited them in a special bank account under a phony firm name.
       He then began making withdrawals using names of legitimate companies, police claimed.
       When arrested, Kimble was on $4,750 bond. Police said a $475 check he wrote to the bonding company bounced.
Jerry Shinley

Sent via
Share what you know. Learn what you don't.


Subject: Re: Jules Ricco Kimble and the MLK case
Date: Mon, 26 July 1999 11:29 AM EDT
Message-id: <7nhus7$i3h$>

In article <7n1u6m$rvd$>, wrote:
> In article <7mcve3$net$>,
> wrote:
> >
> [...]
> >
> > New Orleans Times-Picayune Jan 8, 1967 S1-P1
> > City May Get St. Louis Team

> > Tentative Pact Made on Basketball Club
> > -
> >       St. Louis, Mo. - A tentative agreement for the sale of the St.
> > Louis Hawks of the National Basketball Association was announced
> > here Saturday [7th].
> >       Michael J. Aubuchon, general counsel for the New Orleans group,
> > said the team will be sold for $3,800,000 subject to the acceptance
> > of the offer by the team owner, Ben Kerner.
> >       A deadline of 5 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 18, has been set for the
> > acceptance of the offer by Mr. Kerner.
> >       Aubuchon indicated that the interim period was requested by Kerner
> > to allow local or other interests to match the New Orleans group's
> > offer with the object of keeping the club in St. Louis.
> >       "Of no local or other group comes up with a matching offer with the
> > expressed idea of keeping the Hawks in St. Louis by the deadline, the
> > New Orleans offer will be accepted," Aubuchon said.
> >       Representing the New Orleans group, which is known as the New
> > Orleans Professional Basketball Associates, were Sean Morton Downey,
> > executive director of the association; J. R. Kimble, association
> > vice-president, and their legal counsel Steve R. Plotkin [later
> > Gordon Novel's attorney]. The group was scheduled to arrive back in
> > New Orleans at 9:50 p.m. Saturday.
> > Other original members of the NOPBA were Terry Gomilla, Roonie Kole
> > and Buddy Diliberto. Added to the group last week were [Civil Court]
> > Judge David Gertler [Plotkin's father-in-law], Pete Fountain, Henry
> >       Braden, Kimble, Plotkin and Buck Krehs.
> >       [...]
> > -
> > [end of excerpts]
> > -
St. Louis Post-Dispatch January 8, 1967 p 1A
Hawks are Sold Conditionally; Option Given to Keep Team Here
$3,800,000 Basketball Bid by New Orleans Group - Time Granted to Match Offer
       The tentative purchaser is the New Orleans Professional Basketball Association, headed by Sean M. Downey, Jr., son of singer Morton Downey. [Isn't Downey, Jr., the talk show host who was the nemesis of "pablum-puking liberals?"]
       Downey, 34 years old, is general manager of the Canteen Corp. of Louisiana, a vending machine company.
       Downey's father was one of the country's best known popular singers in the 1930s and 1940s. His theme song was "Carolina Moon." The elder Downey, now 65, lives in Palm Beach, Fla., and is no longer in show business. [I believe he was also a friend of the Kennedy family.]
St. Louis Post-Dispatch January , 1967 p 4C
One New Orleans Backer of Hawks Deal Pulls Out
Kimble Withdrawal Won't Affect Deal, Downey Says
       J. R. Kimble, vice president of the New Orleans syndicate that agreed Saturday [7th] to buy the Hawks, said today he was pulling out of the group and that his action would collapse the $3,800,000 conditional purchase.
       However, Sean M. Downey, president of the New Orleans group, said Kimble's withdrawal would have no effect on the conditional sale because Kimble was the smallest investor of the 13-man association.
       [...] Kimble and Downey disagreed on how much Kimble had agreed to invest, and also over the reason for Kimble's withdrawal.
       Kimble in a telephone conversation with the Post-Dispatch, said he was committed to invest at least half of the $3,800,000. But Downey said Kimble's share was $150,000.
       Kimble gave two reasons for his withdrawal in two seperate telephone calls. First he said he was pulling out because the team was going to stay in St. Louis - that there were never any plans to move it - and that he did not want to be made a fool by serving as an instrument in such developments.
       In the second call, he said he was withdrawing because there were several persons in the 13-man group with whom he did not want to be associated. He said that he had not been aware of their identities when he first committed his money to the syndicate.
       Downey said Kimble had given him another reason. Kimble had insisted his own attorney handle the sales transaction.
       "I couldn't make any such commitment to him," said Downey. "I'm not the big money man in the syndicate. I can't dictate terms as to who would be the attorney."
       Downey said, "I just put the syndicate together, but I'm not the money man." He said he had no money invested among the $3,800,000.
       He said the deposit by his group was for exceedingly less than the $150,000 Kimble had pledged. However, he said he had agreed not to disclose the amount that had been deposited Saturday when the terms of the contract were agreed on.
       The deposit would be returned if a St. Louis group matches the purchase price, Downey said, but it would be forfeited if the New Orleans group would withdraw its offer.
       Downey termed Kimble's withdrawal "not an important development," and said that Kimble's share would be taken up by one of the other members of the syndicate who had wanted to invest more.
       He said a major New Orleans investor who was not part of the syndicate could be called into the picture if necessary. "He could cover it all, but I didn't include him because I wanted it to be a community project," Downey said.
       Hawks attorney Michael J. Aubuchon said that the 24-year-old Kimble was one of the New Orleans men who signed the conditional agreement. Downey was the other. They attended the meeting with Aubuchon and attorney Steve R. Plotkin of the New Orleans group. [...]
St. Louis Post-Dispatch January 10, 1967 p 1A
New Orleans Syndicate Group Bidding for Hawks Must Get More Funds Member of Syndicate Said to Have Misrepresented His Financial Worth
       The New Orleans syndicate that apparently had made a winning bid of $3,800,000 for the Hawks regrouped after Sean M. Downey, Jr., president of the syndicate disclosed that one of its members had misrepresented his financial worth.
       Downey told the Post-Dispatch today that J. R. Kimble, who had been described as having inherited $1,500,000, "misrepresented his worth by $1,499,999.99."
       Michael J. Aubuchon, attorney for the Hawks, said that Kimble signed a check for the undisclosed amount of the deposit agreed on in the conditional sale of the National Basketball Association franchise to the New Orleans group here last weekend.
       The check represents the only "good faith" money held by the Hawks, Aubuchon told the Post-Dispatch.
       But Kerner and Aubuchon said in San Francisco that the check Kimble had given them as the New Orleans group's earnest money was a personal draft.
       Aubuchon [...] declined to disclose the amount of the check.
       Downey, reached by the Post-Dispatch ar his home in New Orleans, said that Kimble was no longer a member of the Southern syndicate. He said that the group did not plan legal action against the 26-year-old Kimble.
       Hap Glaudi, sports director of television station WWL in New Orleans said he had made an inquiry into the Kimble situation and found Kimble to be an oil rig worker. Glaudi, who attributed his information to a law enforcement officer, said Kimble had "accumulated some money through investments" but that he found no indication that Kimble was an heir to a fortune.
New Orleans Times-Picayune September 8, 1967 S1-P1
Bussie Case Witness Assured
       A missing witness in the bombing of a Baton Rouge labor leader's home has been promised "all the protection he needs day and night" by Gov. John J. McKeithen, East Baton Rouge District Attorney Sargent Pitcher and State Police Supt. Col. Thomas Burbank.
       The witness was identified by Burbank and Pitcher as Jules R. Kimble, 24, 7003 Vicksburg st., New Orleans.
       A Jules R. Kimble in early January attempted to join a syndicate that was seeking to bring the St. Louis Hawks National Basketball Association franchise to New Orleans. At the time, Kimble told a St. Louis newspaper he was committed to pay at least one half of the $3.8 million purchase price.
       Kimble called the New Orleans States-Item's Baton Rouge bureau Thursday [7th] and said the plot to bomb the home of Victor Bussie, president of the state AFL-CIO, and the home of a Negro woman teacher in Port Allen, across the river from Baton Rouge, was concocted in his home by the Ku Klux Klan.
       According to Kimble, he was calling from a pay telephone in Cincinnati, Ohio, and had fled Louisiana because he feared for his life. He said he was not satisfied with protection offered by state police.
       Pitcher said he doubted Kimble was in Ohio. But Pitcher added he would provide protection for Kimble if he comes into Pitcher's jurisdiction.
       Burbank challenged Kimble's charge that he was not offered adequate protection.
       "We assured Kimble complete protection for himself and his family," asserted Burbank.
       Gov. McKeithen added, "We're trying to root these fellows (meaning the bombers) out, and we'll give him or any other witness as much protection as he wants."
       Pitcher says he has a grand jury subpena out for Kimble and that it can be served anywhere in Louisiana. He said that Kimble's home here [N.O.] has been under surveillance for the last six or seven days.
       A Jules R. Kimble was arrested on three charges by the New Orleans Police Department as recently as July 26. He was arrested for aggravated assault, false personation and illegally carrying a concealed weapon.
       The missing witness told the States-Item that three men met at his home in July and worked out the details to bomb the two homes. "They wanted to kill Bussie and Mrs. Viola Logan," said Kimble.
       According to Kimble, there was a definite plan to kill Bussie, not just scare him.
       Bussie had commented strongly about the KKK while testifying before a committee of the Legislature considering legislation to probe labor-management racketeering in the state. "The bombing was also tied into the grant-in-aid thing [state money for the students of private, segregated schools]," said Kimble.
       Kimble told the States-Item he was a member of the Klan and the person who organized the plot had wanted him to participate. However, Kimble said he had been injured recently and did not go with them.
       He said that two of the men left their cars at his house that night and rode to Baton Rouge with a third man. He insisted that he did not go.
       Kimble said he talked to a state police detective and the detective told him he could not guarantee him protection if testified before the grand jury.
       "My life is in danger," said Kimble. "If they guarantee me protection, then I'll testify."
       Kimble said Burbank had promised him a job and issued him a commission as a special police officer. Burbank confirmed that the commission had been issued but had later been taken up.
       The Federal Bureau of Investigation was interested in the bombings but pulled out when it became apparent no federal laws had been violated.
       Pitcher said the subpena for Kimble is the only one issued thus far in the case.
New Orleans Times-Picayune September 9, 1967 S1-P5
Kimble 'Seen' in New Orleans
T-P Receives Tip on Wanted Informant
       Jules R Kimble [...] was seen in the 7000 block of Vicksburg st. Friday [8th] The Times-Picayune was told.
       The owner of the residence at 7003 Vicksburg st., where Kimble had lived and where he said the plot [to bomb Bussie] was concocted, said Friday that Kimble has not lived there in "eight to 10 days."
New Orleans Times-Picayune October 5, 1967 S1-P1
Ex-KKK Leader Brought to La.
Jules Kimble Placed in Marksville Jail
       Jules R. Kimble, a former Louisiana Ku Klux Klan leader who says he can identify the men who bombed the home of a labor leader in Baton Rouge, was returned to Louisiana Wednesday [4th] and placed in custody in Marksville.
       Kimble [...] was arrested Tuesday in Miami Beach.
       He was arrested on an Avoyelles Parish warrant issued June 14, 1966, which charged him with violating the terms of a probationary sentence associated with a family non-support case.
       Kimble waived extradition at Miami Beach Wednesday morning, where he was picked up by Avoyelles and East Baton Rouge sheriff's deputies. He was flown to Baton Rouge and then transferred to the Avoyelles Parish jail in Marksville.
New Orleans Times-Picayune October 6, 1967 S1-P19
Kimble Will Go Before Jurors
Former Klansman Says Bombing Plotted
       A 24-year-old former Ku Klux Klan leader has been subpenaed to appear before the East Baton Rouge Grand Jury at 10 a.m. Friday [6th] in connection with the bombing of a labor leader's home in July.
       Jules R. Kimble, of New Orleans, who identified himself as a former klansman, received the subpena at Marksville Wednesday night when he arrived from Miami Beach, Fla., where he was picked up Tuesday on a probation violation charge. He had fled Louisiana early last month.
       [... (info about Gordon Novel and Aubrey Young omitted)]
At New Orleans, the district attorney's office accepted aggravated assault charges against Kimble and said it will charge him with impersonating a state police officer.
       The former New Orleans harbor policeman, who said he was chief security officer for the Louisiana Klan, told police and newsmen he overheard three klansmen plot the July 19 bombing of [La.] AFL-CIO president Victor Bussie's home at Baton Rouge.
       Ass't D.A. John Volz said the New Orleans charges resulted from a July 26 narcotics raid which Kimble instigated.
       Police reports said Kimble told narcotics squad officers he was a special state agent and that he had developed information that there was a cache of narcotics in a midtown Carondolet st. business.
       Raiding officers were denied admission to the building, police said, and Kimble pulled a .38 caliber pistol on Joseph Littlejohn, an employe who blocked the entrance.
       On the basis of imformation supplied by Kimble, narcotics officers obtained a search warrent, returned to the building, but found no narcotics, the report added.
       When state police officials denied that Kimble was a regular officer, he was booked with aggravated assault, impersonating a policeman and carrying a concealed weapon.
New Orleans Times-Picayune October 7, 1967 S1-P5
Kimble's Jury Call Delayed
Testimony to Await Lie Report
       Jules Kimble [...] will not be called before the East Baton Rouge Parish Grand Jury until the district attorney studies a lie detector test administered to Kimble, the district attorney said Friday [6th].
       [...] However, District Attorney Sargent Pitcher, said he has not received a report on the lie detector test and that he has no idea when Kimble may be summoned to testify.
       The test was administered to Kimble at State Police Headquarters in Baton Rouge, Pitcher said.
New Orleans Times-Picayune October 12, 1967 S1-P1
'Life' Reporter [David Chandler] Granted Stay
Court Holds Up Grand Jury Appearance
       Also, self-admitted Ku Klux Klan leader Jules Kimble testified before the East Baton Rouge Grand Jury [...].
       Before Kimble's testimony, he was transported to Baton Rouge from New Orleans where he was under $5,000 bond in Parish Prison on charges of impersonating a state police trooper.
New Orleans Times-Picayune October 13, 1967 S1-P3
2nd KKK Leader Set to Testify
E. Baton Rouge Parish Grand Jury Calls Him
       Jack Helm, leader of the Universal Klans of America, is slated Monday [16th] to become the second Ku Klux Klan leader to testify before the East Baton Rouge Grand Jury in its present probe into alleged organized crime in Louisiana.
New Orleans Times-Picayune October 17, 1967 S1-P1
Bombing Order Denied by Helm
Other Klansmen Give Testimony in Probe
       Baton Rouge, La. (AP) - Jack M. Helm, Imperial Dragon of the Universal Klans of America denied Monday [16th] that he ordered the bombing of a state labor leader's home.
       He talked freely with newsmen before and after spending 90 minutes with the East Baton Rouge Parish Grand Jury here.
       Two New Orleans men he identified as members of his organization, Clarence Hau and Henry Luwisch, were in the grand jury room 100 minutes.
       All three men testified voluntarily. A fourth also was expected to testify.
       Nick Ross, an investigator for the State Labor-Management Commission of Inquiry, accompanied Hau and Luwich into the grand jury session. Hau and Luwisch declined to comment.
       Helm complained that informers had penetrated his secret empire.
       "I'm just tired," the New Orleans klan leader said afterward. "I'm tired of these informers. I don't know how many may be in my organization. I can't even do my work."
       Helm said he was invited by Dist. Atty Sargent Pitcher to testify and he did so without being subpenaed. He said he also invited three members of his klan organization to testify.
       Helm denied that he ordered the bombing or knew of any bombing plot. He said he understood Jules Kimble, New Orleans, a professed former klan official, had testified earlier that he ordered the bombing.
       "The whole thing is just fantastic," Helm said. "I never dreamed of a man coming out with something like that."
       Helm said he conducted a meeting at Kimble's home the night before Bussie's home was bombed, but "I don't know all these people, or if they were there."
       This referred to Kimble's claim that three klansmen plotted the bombing of Bussie's home and the home of a Negro school teacher in nearby Port Allen during such a meeting.
       "He was nothing but a member," Helm said of Kimble. "He was not a klan official."
       Helm said that if he had investigated Kimble himself then Kimble never would have been a klan member.
       "He was put in there by the federal men," Helm said. The klan Imperial Dragon complained that there were sheriff's and FBI informers in his organization, how many he didn't know.
[end of excerpts]

Jerry Shinley

Sent via
Share what you know. Learn what you don't.


Back to the top

Back to Jerry Shinley Archive menu

Back to Jim Garrison menu


Search this site
    powered by FreeFind

Back to JFK menu

Dave Reitzes home page


Dave Reitzes home page